The Kamehameha-Hawaii Warriors managed to outlast the HPA’s Ka Makani, 44 to 43, in the final game of girls Division II BIIF basketball played Saturday night at the Hilo Civic.
The match-up rumbled into triple overtime before Kamehameha established the upper hand on a Shanley Apele free throw.
Coach Garrett Arima’s Warriors were 9-5 in BIIF action this season. HPA was 5-5 under coach Craig Kimura.
In this video:
- 4th Qtr: Steal and lay-up by HPA’s Leahi Lindsey (no. 22)
- 4th Qtr: Three pointer by HPA’s Leahi Lindsey (no. 22)
- 4th Qtr: Rebound, put back by Kamehameha’s Katelynne Paleka-Kennedy: (no. 42)
- 4th Qtr: Tying lay-up, put back by Kamehameha’s Chelsea Poe (no. 3)
- 3OT: layup by Kamehameha’s Namele Naipo-Arsiga (no. 5)
- 3OT: jumper to tie by HPA’s Tayler Wang (no. 32)
- 3OT – Winning free throw – Kamehameha’s Shanley Apele (no. 15)
Kamehameha has been seeded #4 in the Hawaiian Airlines Girls Basketball State Championships – Division II, and will play the winner of Kahuku vs. Word of Life on Wednesday, Feb. 17 at Kalani HS. Hawaii Prep will face Seabury Hall in the first round of the same tournament held at Farrington HS, and if victorious will face #2 Kaimuki.
Video by David Corrigan