PAHOA, Hawaii: An unattended candle led to a fully involved structure fire on Kona Street in Pahoa early Wednesday morning. The
The Hawaii County Fire Department reports a 31-year old female sustained second degree burns to both hands while trying to exit the burning home. She was transported to Hilo Medical Center by ambulance in stable condition.
The fire department says the other occupants, a male of unknown age, and the female owner identified as Shayla Shelton, were able to safely exit without harm. The fire dispatch also notes a toddler as one of the occupants.
The fire department described the structure as a 10 foot by 14 foot single room, metal shed with a wooden subfloor. The fire collapsed the roof and destroyed all the contents within.
The fire dispatch describes the fire fight:
Company 10 was the first engine on scene and utilized pre-connect and tank water for extinguishment. Engine 18 and Engine 5 provided manpower and assisted in fire extinguishment and overhaul.
Fire officials estimate the loss at $20,000.