(BIVN) – The following message was issued by Hawaii County Civil Defense at 6 a.m. on Friday:
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that Fissure 8 continues to be very active and is feeding a lava channel to the ocean at Kapoho. The flow is producing a broad ocean entry along the shoreline, and continues to expand into Kapoho Beach Lots and the Four Corners intersection.
The following policies are issued.
- Four Corners and Kapoho Beach Lots are closed to any access.
- Be aware that spill overs of the channel and other breakouts are possible on the active flow field, do not access the active flow field due to extreme hazard.
- The National Weather Service reports thunderstorms are possible this evening through tomorrow for lower Puna.
- Hawaii Police Department reports one lane of Highway 11 remains closed at the 30 mile marker near Volcano Golf Course subdivision.
Disaster assistance is available island-wide to individuals and businesses in Hawaii County that have been affected by the Kilauea eruption.
- Starting Saturday, The Disaster Recovery Center will be open daily from 8am to 4pm weekends, and 8AM to 6PM weekdays. The Center is located at the Keaau High School Gym. If you need a ride, buses run between the two shelters and the Disaster Recovery Center.
- For more resources to help you recover from this disaster, please visit the county website.
We are on watch 24-hours a day for your safety.