WAIMEA, Hawaii: Motorists are being advised to allow for extra travel time along the South Kohala Distribution Road in Waimea this week. The Hawaii State Department of Hawaiian Home Lands has the details.
One lane will be closed along the South Kohala Distribution Road Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. due to construction of the Lālāmilo Water System. During non-work hours, both lanes will be open to traffic, as conditions permit. Access to Waimea Transfer Station will be maintained.
The State Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (DHHL) began construction of the $1.6 million Lālāmilo Water System along the South Kohala Distribution Road portion last Wednesday, June 20, 2012. Construction along South Kohala Distribution Road is anticipated to be complete by September 10, 2012.
Additional water main installation is tentatively scheduled to begin July 25, 2012, along Kawaihae Road. Approximately 1,400 ft. of lanes will be shifted along Kawaihae Road at the South Kohala Distribution Road entrance. This work along Kawaihae Road is anticipated to be complete by September 12, 2012.
Motorists are advised to use caution while driving through the work area, observe all traffic controls, to expect delays and to allow for extra travel time.
ABOUT LĀLĀMILO WATER SYSTEM PROJECT
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: A contractor will install approximately 1,082 ft. of 16-inch, and 46 ft. of 8-inch water lines along Kawaihae Road; and approximately 1,061 ft. of 16-inch, 739 ft. of 12-inch, and 29 ft. of 8-inch water lines on South Kohala Distribution Road. Transmission mains will provide water from the new 1.0 million gallon water reservoir and an existing water line along Kawaihae Road to the Lālāmilo subdivision. The project is located along Kawaihae Road, between South Kohala Distribution Road and the new 1.0 million gallon water reservoir, at milepost 58.9.
ESTIMATED COST: $1,599,047.75
- Work being coordinated with County of Hawaii Department of Water Supply.
- Kahu Blessing held 10/28/10.
- Construction Management Consultant: SSFM International, Inc. Construction management contract includes other Lälämilo construction projects (Lālāmilo 1.0 Million Gallon Reservoir, Lalāmilo Phase 1
- Channelization of Kawaihae Road, Lälämilo Phase 2A subdivision).
- Archaeological Monitoring Consultant: Scientific Consultant Services, Inc.
- Munitions: Working with the Army Corps of Engineers (COE) to address possible existing munitions and explosives in the project area.
- Coordinating project with rancher (general lessee) Mr. Fred Rice who currently ranches within project limits.
- NOTICE TO PROCEED (NTP) DATE: June 6, 2011 (Official)
- CONSTRUCTION COMPLETION DATE: September 12, 2012 (estimated)
- CONSULTANT: Community Planning & Engineering, Inc.
- CONTRACTOR: Honolulu Builders (with civil contractor Willocks Construction Corporation)
DHHL PROJECT MANAGER:
- Jeffrey Fujimoto, Engineer, Land Development Division
- Contact Info: Phone: (808) 620-9274, Fax.: (808) 620-9299
REMARKS, ISSUES AND CONCERNS:
- Current Contractor work hours, subject to change, Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Traffic Control during Construction.
a. Kawaihae Road. Approximately 1,400 ft. of lanes will be shifted along Kawaihae Road at the South Kohala Distribution Road entrance. Orange construction signs will be placed along Kawaihae Road approaching the construction area/shifted lanes. Tentative schedule of shifted lanes is anticipated for July 25, 2012 to September 12, 2012.
b. South Kohala Distribution Road. One Lane will be closed on South Kohala Distribution Road. Orange construction signs and flag men (or police officers) will be posted along South Kohala Distribution Road approaching the construction area/lane closure. Tentative schedule of lane closures is anticipated for the period between June 20, 2012 to September 10, 2012, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Both lanes will be opened to traffic, as conditions permit during non-work hours. Access to the Waimea Transfer Station will be maintained.
SOURCE: State Department of Hawaiian Home Lands