- HIGH SURF WARNING is in effect for Hawaii Island until 6 p.m. HST Monday. South facing shores are forecast to see wave heights of 10 to 15 feet.
- An effort to improve Kaipalaoa Landing, a historic site and favorite surf spot in Downtown Hilo, was celebrated on Thursday. (Kaipalaoa Landing Improvements On The Way)
RICHARDSON ROUGHWATER SWIM
- The 28th Annual Richardson Roughwater Swim takes place today (Sunday, July 26) at Richardson Ocean Park in the Keaukaha area of Hilo. This 1-mile-long race course is designed for strong, experienced swimmers. Competitors may experience ocean swells, powerful currents and waves breaking over the outside reef.
$10,000 FOR 4th OF JULY
- APPROVED by HAWAII COUNTY COUNCIL on July 24: In two separate resolutions (res. 210-15, res. 211-15) Coucilmembers Danny Paleka and Aaron Chung each donated $5,000 in contingency funds to the Hilo 4th of July celebration. (audio from council discussion below)
HAWAII BOARD OF AGRICULTURE
- TUESDAY, July 28 – Panaewa Farm Lots lease extensions on the agenda
AGRICULTURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT DIVISION
Request for Extension of General Lease No. S-4446, Lot No. 18, TMK 3rd Div/2-4-049:002, H. Eunice Nursery, Inc., Panaewa Farm Lots, 2nd Series, Waiakea, So. Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Request for Extension of General Lease No. S-4638, Lot No. 25, TMK: 3rd Div/2-4-049:009, Big Island Plant & Foliage, Panaewa Farm Lots, 2nd Series, Waiakea, So. Hilo, Island of Hawaii
(meeting at 9:00 a.m. in Plant Quarantine Conference Room on 1849 Auiki Street in Honolulu)
DHHL Panaewa Ag Lots
- The Department of Hawaiian Home Lands is proposing to subdivide five 10-acre parcels in the Panaewa area of Hilo into approximately 80 half-acre lots for native Hawaiian beneficiaries who are on the wait list “and/or to existing lessees who need to relocate due to lava or other hazards.” (DHHL Panaewa Ag Lots Subdivision Draft EA Posted)
- Ku‘ikahi Mediation Center has elected three new directors to its board for three-year terms starting July 1, 2015. Joining the non-profit are Douglass S. Adams, Tracie White, and Jennifer Zelko-Schlueter.