- RUNAWAY BRUSHFIRE: The brushfires in the Kawaihae area continue to burn out of control. The fire jumped the roadway in multiple areas earlier in the day. Gusty wind conditions and heavy smoke are being reported.
- EVACUATIONS: Kawaihae Village area, Spencer Beach Park.
- ALLOWED TO RETURN HOME: Mauna Kea Beach North Bluffs
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS: The Evacuation Center at the Thelma Parker Gym in Waimea will remain open through the night.
- ROAD CLOSURES: Queen Kaahumanu Highway is closed to all traffic from Puako Beach Drive. Kawaihae Road is also closed between the 62 mile marks on the Waimea or East side and the Akoni Pule Junction at Kawaihae Harbor. Kohala traffic on Akoni Pule is being detoured through the Kohala Ranch Subdivision.
VIDEO: Kohala Brushfire Evening Update
by Big Island Video News
The brushfires in the Kawaihae area continue to burn out of control. The fires jumped the roadway in multiple areas earlier in the day.