HILO, Hawaii – On Saturday, November 5, East Hawaii gathered throughout Downtown Hilo to honor Hawaii’s military veterans.
The theme of the 9th Annual Hawaii Island Veterans Day Parade, “Celebrate Service”, focused on the increased involvement of veterans and the community to serve those in need, organizers say.
The parade set off from the Wailoa State Park staging area under sunny skies, and marched up Pauahi Street, turning north on Kilauea Avenue through Downtown Hilo to Waianuenue Avenue, then makai to Kamehameha Avenue.
This year’s Grand Marshal was the late State Senator Gil Kahele and his ‘Ohana. Kahele served in the United States Marine Corps. His son – the current State Senator for Hilo and Air National Guard member, MAJ Kaiali‘i Kahele – also marched in the unit.
The Community Parade Marshal was the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home, “the only state Veterans Home in Hawaii and Hawaii’s only post acute care and rehabilitation service provider specifically designed to served the special needs of veterans,” organizers say.
The newest parade marshal in 2016: The Business Parade Marshal, a unit that organizers say “recognizes local businesses that provide the highest quality products and service, going to great lengths to better serve our Veterans and communities every day.” This year the honor went to KTA Super Stores.
Here is a list of all the units, listed in march sequence. More info on each can be found on the Hawaii Island Veterans Day website.
1. Hawaii Island Motorcycles
2. US Navy (Carry Parade Banner)
3. Hawaii Air National Guard Color Guard
4. Hawaii County Band
5. Governor David and First Lady Dawn Amano-Ige
6. Representative Tulsi Gabbard
7. Judge Edward Kubo and Mrs Tammy Kubo
8. State Director, OVS – COL (R) Ron Han and his wife Terry Han
9. Island of Hawaii, OVS – Roddy Sueoka (Same Vehicle as #8)
10. State Senator Russell Ruderman.
11. State Representative Mark Nakashima
12. State Representative Clift Tsuji
13. State Representative Richard H.K. Onishi
14. State Representative Joy San Buenaventura
15. Council Member Daniel K Paleka, Jr.
16. County Prosecutor Mitch Roth
17. Judges Ronald Ibarra and Greg Nakamura
18. Friends of the Vet Treatment Court
19. Community Parade Marshal – Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home
20. Hilo Medical Center
21. US Army (Carry 100Bn/442RCT banner)
22. WWII Veterans – 100th Battalion /442ndRCT/MIS/Engineers
23. 1LT Walter Hughes, WWII Bomber Pilot
24. Hawai‘i Loa Chapter – Daughters of the American Revolution
25. US Air Force (carry Vietnam Veterans Banner)
26. VFW 3875/DAV 6/Hilo Elks Lodge 759/Bobby Reno Band
27. Hawaii Community College
28. Aloha Exchange Club of East Hawaii
29. Hawaii Fi-Do Service Dogs
30. American Red Cross
31. Little Miss Pacific Islands
32. SSG James. K. Pihana
33. Korean War Veterans/Military Order of the Purple Heart/CIB
34. Waiakea Cub Scout Pack 19
35. US Coast Guard
36. Bay Clinic, Inc.
37. Akaka Falls Lions Club
38. Hilo Union School Kazoo Band
39. Rotary Clubs of East Hawaii/UH-Hilo Rotaract Club
40. St Joseph School
41. Civil Air Patrol
42. Pohakuloa Training Area Command Team
43. PTA Fire and Emergency Services
44. USO PTA
45. US Marine Corps (carry Grand Marshal Banner)
46. Grand Marshal – State Senator Gil Kahele ‘Ohana
47. MAJ Kaiali‘i Kahele
48. Hilo High School Viking Band
49. Girl Scouts of Hawaii
50. VFW Post 3830 & Auxiliary (Pahoa)
51. Men of Pa‘a
52. Disabled American Veterans Chapter 9
53. Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency
54. CERT- Community Emergency Response Teams
55. Neighborhood Watch
56. Hawaii National Guard Youth Challenge
57. Paradise Roller Girls & the Big Island Babes.
58. Business Parade Marshal – KTA Super Stores
59. Big Island Cheer
60. Knights of Columbus
61. Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Corp.
62. Bank of Hawaii
63. Hawaii Horse Owners Association
64. Lyman Museum
66. Hawaii First FCU
67. Waiakea High School Warrior Band
68. National Guard, Aviation Units
69. National Guard, Engineers
70. Hilo Vet Center
71. Hope Services Hawaii
72. University of Hawaii at Hilo
73. Na Leo TV
75. Taishoji Taiko
76. Hawaii Fire Department/EMS
77. Gathering of Eagles