(BIVN) – On Saturday, the Blue Zones Project West Hawaii will host a kick-off event from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the old Sports Authority at Kona Commons.
Kirstin Kahaloa, who does outreach for the project, says the celebration will feature free activities for the entire family. She supplied this media release detailing the schedule of events:
Blue Zones Project® invites the community to the West Hawai‘i Celebration Kickoff event from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on August 26 at the old Sports Authority at Kona Commons (74-5450 Makala Blvd.).
Brought to Hawaiʻi through an innovative sponsorship by HMSA in collaboration with Sharecare and Blue Zones, LLC, Blue Zones Project is a community-by-community well-being improvement initiative designed to enable community members to live longer, happier lives with lower rates of chronic diseases and a higher quality of life.
Based on principles developed by Dan Buettner, National Geographic Fellow and New York Times best-selling author of “The Blue Zones” and “The Blue Zones Solution,” Blue Zones Project is designed to make healthy choices easier through permanent changes to the built environment, policy and social networks.
The kickoff event will feature a presentation by Buettner and highlight the opportunities available to all residents to boost their well-being through engagement in Blue Zones Project.
Attendees arriving early will receive complimentary Blue Zones Project T-shirts and coupons for a smoothie discount provided by Jamba Juice.
Organizers say attendees will also have a chance to win prizes and can participate in these free, family-friendly activities related to the Blue Zones Power 9® well-being principles:
Move Naturally Activities
- Bike Rodeo by PATH (People’s Advocacy for Trails Hawai‘i)
- Move Naturally Mat featuring Zumba, Pound, Hula for Healing and Yoga
- Lounge décor by Lowe’s and a Kanikapila Corner
- Demonstrations of Body Stress Release, massage, acupuncture, rolfing and relaxation techniques by DoTerra
- Inflatable activities sponsored by Hawaiʻi Electric Light Company
- Keiki and ‘ohana activities include Keiki ID and carnival games by Hawaiʻi County Community Policing, photo booth, coloring area and face painting
- Healthy and ‘ono food samples by KTA Superstores, Island Heart Care, Evolution Bakery, Under the Bodhi Tree, BioAstin and Hawaiian Spirulina by Cyanotech, Hāmākua Macadamia Nut Company and the Fish Hopper
- Healthy drink samples by Mauna Kea Tea, Solt-ti Organic Beverages, Bai Antioxidant Drinks and Pitaya Plus
- Connect to the foods of our kupuna with Hawaiian food samples of ‘uala poi (sweet potato), ‘ulu (breadfruit) and kalo (taro)
Discover Your Purpose
- Build community through volunteerism and support for nonprofits including Habitat for Humanity West Hawaiʻi, Hawaiʻi Public Health Institute, Full Life, West Hawaiʻi Community Health Center, and Queen Liliʻuokalani Long Distance Canoe Races
Organizers say other partners include Ceeds of Peace, Choice Mart, Creative Arts Hawaiʻi, Inscentive, Kona Acupuncture Studio, Kona Commons, Kona Community Hospital, Konawaena High School, Massage Medical Center, McDonald’s, Pacific Media Group, PSAV, Royal Kona Resort, Trunk Trainers and more.
“By focusing on environmental change and making the healthy choice the easy choice, West Hawai‘i residents have an opportunity to create a stronger and healthier community, one that we can all be proud of. We hope individuals and families will come out to learn and experience how we can all live longer and healthier,” said County Councilmember Dru Mamo Kanuha in the media release. Kanuha is one of the leading advocates to bring the Blue Zones Project to West Hawaiʻi. “Mahalo to HMSA for proudly sponsoring this project for our island, as a future model for other communities across the country,” the Kona councilmember said.
Kahaloa included this additional info:
Doors Open, Activities Begin – 1:30 p.m.
Program Begins – 3:15 p.m.
- Barbara Kossow, Deputy Managing Director, Mayor’s Office, County of Hawaiʻi
- Dru Mamo Kanuha, Council Member, District 7, County of Hawaiʻi
- Maile Medeiros David, Council Member, District 6, County of Hawaiʻi
- Karen Eoff, Council Member, District 8, County of Hawaiʻi
- Michael Stollar, President and Chief Operating Officer, HMSA
- Elisa Yadao, Senior Vice President, Consumer Experience, HMSA
- Dan Buettner, National Geographic Fellow and New York Times best-selling author of “The Blue Zones” and “The Blue Zones Solution”
The Blue Zones Project West Hawaii was announced in January of this year with this press conference held at the West Hawaii Civic Center.
The West Hawaii project joins East Hawaii and North Hawaii to make the entire Big Island involved in the Blue Zones.
To learn more about Blue Zones Project, visit hawaii.bluezonesproject.com.