(BIVN) – Eight people were transported to Hilo Medical Center on Sunday morning, after a fire engulfed the upper floors of their Pepe’ekeo apartment complex.
The blaze in the J Building of the Kumula Street Kauhale’olu Apartment complex began around 5:28 a.m., fire officials say. The fire was caused unintentionally by unattended cooking, investigators say.
The fire department has confirmed that all the occupants made it out of burning building, and that 8 total patients were treated and transported to Hilo Medical Center.
The blaze in the four-apartment building also threatened an additional apartment building. Police issued an alert to avoid Kumula Street and Andrade Road from Highway 19 due to road closures caused by the incident.
“Fire suppressed with multiple hand lines and master stream device,” a fire dispatch reads. “Fire fought from exterior until conditions were tenable for entry. Upon entry, primary search and suppression took place using thermal imager. Power lines to building were down, breaker shut down as a precaution. Building with severe fire and water damage. HFD assisted lower apartment occupants with salvage of personal items. Red Cross and building representative assisting displaced occupants.”
The fire was out at 6:10 a.m.