(BIVN) – Nine people who were arrested on the Mauna Kea Access Road last month during the standoff over the Thirty Meter Telescope appeared in HILO court on Friday.
A large crowd gathered in support of the nine, reported by the Hawaiʻi Tribune-Herald to be Jim Albertini, Tomas Belsky, Marie Alohalani Brown, Ana Kahoopii, Kaliko Kanaele, Carmen Hulu Lindsey, Edleen Peleiholani, Hawley Reese and Ranette Robinson.
All nine pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor obstruction charges, and were told by Judge Bruce Larson to appear at 1:30 p.m. Sept. 20 for pre-trial conferences.
After the proceeding, TMT opponents gathered outside the courthouse, hands joined, where they heard from Kahoʻokahi Kanuha. “To all of our kūpuna, who are here today in court, who are not here today in court but have another day set up, I – and I think all of us – want to express our sincere mahalo and aloha to you folks,” he said. “For not just showing us what to do, but also showing us how to do it.”
29 more individuals have court dates in September and October.