Photo posted by the Office of Hawaiian Affairs shows the flooded area in Nāʻālehu

Effort To Recover Kaʻū Burials Displaced By Hurricane Floods Underway

Big Island Video News

Aug 20, 2026

STORY SUMMARY

NĀʻĀLEHU, Hawaiʻi - The Hawaiʻi National Guard is leading the effort, in coordination with subject-matter experts and cultural practitioners.

(BIVN) – A multi-agency effort is underway in Kaʻū, in an attempt to find and protect Nāʻālehu Cemetery burials that were unearthed by Hurricane Lala flood waters.

The effort to document the displaced burials is being led by the Hawaiʻi National Guard, and Hawaiʻi county officials say they are coordinating with subject-matter experts and cultural practitioners to ensure the proper recovery.

So far, 69 sets of human remains have been identified in the area.

“The discovery of burials within the flood area was heartbreaking for the Nāʻālehu community, and their pain is shared by our entire island,” said Mayor Kimo Alameda in a news release. “After receiving concerning reports of human remains, caskets and headstones below the cemetery, we contacted experts across the state for assistance, blocked off the area, and ensured that no debris removal happens nearby. We want to assure the community that every step of this recovery process is being carried out with compassion, care and respect for the deceased and their descendants.”

From the County of Hawaiʻi:

Guidance and support for the collection and documentation of remains is being provided by Maui Department of ʻŌiwi Resources and Hawaiʻi Department of Health. Specialists assisting with the effort include cultural practitioners, archeologists, forensic anthropologists, osteologists, and a special response team from the Hawaiʻi National Guard.

“We are working expeditiously and collaboratively with other agencies and subject-matter experts, including cultural practitioners and the faith-based community, to ensure the collection, storage, and identification of human remains is done properly and respectfully,” said County Acting Civil Defense Administrator Darryl Oliveira. “Our goal is to complete as much of the recovery as we can before the arrival of the next storm. We will also be working closely with families and their spiritual representatives so that reinterment happens in line with their wishes. If anyone finds remains, we ask that they leave them in place and immediately contact Civil Defense at 808-935-0031.”

Residents with questions about the cemetery and condition of burial plots can contact Parks and Recreation at 808-961-8311 or cemetery@hawaiicounty.gov.

About The Featured Image

Photo posted by the Office of Hawaiian Affairs shows the flooded area in Nāʻālehu


Image placeholder

Big Island Video News has been serving Hawaiʻi island since 2008.