(BIVN) – The Hilo Orchid Society Annual Show And Sale is being held this weekend at the Edith Kanaka’ole Stadium, and due to the ongoing eruption of Kilauea Volcano, organizers say proceeds will be donated towards Puna disaster relief.
The eruption on the lower East Rift Zone has taken a huge toll on Puna’s cut flower industry, where up to half of the state’s industry was based. Multiple orchid farms were covered by lava.
This year, the traditional orchid show Preview Party – held Thursday evening before the show opens to the public – raised funds with a Silent Auction that organizers say will be donated to disaster relief “for our neighbors devastated by the eruption in Puna.”
The theme for the 2018 Hilo orchid Show is Kaleidoscope Of Orchids. The show wraps up on Sunday (July 15) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
According to the Hilo Orchid Society website, the show features:
- Gorgeous displays of thousands of orchids, including exotic orchid species and hybrids not typically found at major retail and grocery store chains.
- Orchids for sale suited to beginning through expert growers, plus other orchid-related items.
- Tasty, reasonably-priced food from local sources.
- Hawaiian musical entertainment at lunch time and late afternoon.
- Lectures and demonstrations.
by Big Island Video News
HILO, Hawaii - Organizers of the annual orchid show say proceeds of the Silent Auction at the Preview Party will be donated to disaster relief for those devastated by the eruption in Puna.