PUNA, Hawaii: The Hawaii County Fire Department says a defective hot water heater is to blame for a structure fire at a home on Aloha Road in Puna’s Black Sands Subdivision.
Responding to an alarm shortly after 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, the fire department says they arrived to find smoke and flames coming from a storage area below the living area of 700 square foot single family residence.
The fire crews had the fire under control quickly and the blaze was out a half an hour after their arrival.
According to a fire department dispatch:
Owner was upstairs when she heard two loud explosions from storage area under home. She called 911 and evacuated house. Fire started in area of hot water heater, partially burning adjacent wall, support post, and floor joists.
Officials estimate the swift action of the firefighters saved about $70,000 in damages to the raised wood frame home, which the department says was uninsured.
No one was reported hurt or injured in the incident.