HILO, Hawaii: In light of several recent motorcycle fatalities, Police Traffic Enforcement Unit officers on the Big Island will focus enforcement efforts on unsafe operation of motorcycles, including equipment violations.
According to Sergeant Christopher Gali, who heads the Traffic Enforcement Unit, reckless driving was a factor in three of the four motorcycle fatalities this year, like this one that happened in Keaukaha.
Police offer these safety tips for motorcyclists:
- Make sure the motorcycle is in good working condition.
- Wear proper gear.
- Always wear a helmet that meets federal safety standards.
- Know your bike’s limit.
- Stick to the speed limit.
- Don’t tailgate other vehicles.
- Use your signals.
- Be respectful of other drivers.
- Don’t weave through traffic.
- Make sure other drivers see you.
- Always use your headlights.