HILO, Hawaii – A water main break between ‘Ākōlea Street and Haleloke Street is forcing a water shut off for parts of Hilo.
UPDATE – 4:45 p.m.
- Repairs are underway and are estimated to be completed by 10:00 p.m. tonight.
- Customers in the affected area may experience lower than normal or no water pressure during the repairs.
- Water tankers for affected customers are now available at the intersections of Hokulani Street and Haleloke Street and at Mokihana Street and Manu Place.
The Hawaii County Department of Water Supply put out this emergency notification on Thursday:
Due to a water main break in the Kaumana area of Hilo, a water shut off is now in effect for Water Supply customers in SUNRISE ESTATES, SUNRISE RIDGE, AND HILO HILLSIDE SUBDIVISIONS; ALL SUBDIVISIONS, SIDE STREETS, & PRIVATE ROADS ALONG KAŪMANA DRIVE FROM CHONG STREET DOWN TO PILIALOHA STREET; AS WELL AS ALL SERVICES ALONG CHONG STREET FROM NA‘AUAO STREET TO LEWA NU‘U STREET, INCLUDING LAWELAWE CIRCLE; AND NOWELO STREET EXTENSION (MAUKA OF KOMOHANA STREET).
Customers in the affected area may experience lower than normal or no water pressure during the repairs. At this time, repairs are estimated to be completed by 8:00 p.m. tonight.
Until further notice, affected area customers are advised to restrict water use to essential needs only:
· Keep water use to an absolute minimum.
· Water should be used for essentials only (cooking, drinking and sanitation.)
· Do not wash cars or water lawns.
· Turn off or disconnect any devices or fixtures that regularly draw water. Such devices include automatic icemakers and irrigation systems.
For any emergency water concerns call 961-8790.
Your cooperation is needed and appreciated. – Dept. of Water Supply