- RUNAWAY BRUSHFIRE: The Hawaii Fire Department reports that the brush fires in the Kawaihae area continue to burn out of control. Gusty wind conditions continue today and heavy smoke is being reported.
- EVACUATIONS: Kawaihae Village area, Spencer Beach Park.
- EMERGENCY SHELTERS: The Evacuation Center at the Thelma Parker Gym has been moved to the Waimea Community Center and will remain open until further notice.
- ROAD CLOSURES: Kawaihae Road is closed from the intersection of Queen Kaahumanu Highway to the Akoni Pule Highway Junction at the Kawaihae Harbor. Kohala traffic on Akoni Pule is being detoured through the Kohala Ranch Subdivision.
- ROAD REOPENED: Queen Ka’ahumanu Highway is now open to all traffic.
Above photo taken on Saturday by Visionary Video
by Big Island Video News
The Hawaii Fire Department reports that the brush fires in the Kawaihae area continue to burn out of control. The evacuation Center has been moved to the Waimea Community Center.