(BIVN) – The legendary Hōkūleʻa voyaging canoe is set to depart Hilo for Miloliiʻi Friday, after a nearly month-long stay on the east side of Hawaiʻi Island as part of the Mahalo, Hawaiʻi sail.
According to the Polynesian Voyaging Society, Hōkūleʻa is expected to arrive in Miloliʻi on Saturday at noon and will be greeted with a welcome ceremony hosted by the community. On Sunday, April 29, Hōkūleʻa will depart the fishing village and sail to Kawaihae, where the canoe will be docked for school tours and community events until May 10.
The Polynesian Voyaging Society added:
While in Kawaihae, the Hōkūleʻa crew will hold a series of interactive engagements including a panel of 1976 crewmembers from Hōkūleʻa’s first voyage to Tahiti, and a talk story event with Hōkūleʻa’s media documentation team and educators who helped to tell the stories of the three-year, 40,000 nautical mile Mālama Honua Worldwide Voyage. The crew will also continue to engage hundreds of public and private school students through canoe visits and hands-on educational activities custom tailored to every age. Scheduled workshops and outreach activities will highlight wayfinding and voyaging through the lenses of math, science, conservation and culture.
Here is the schedule:
- Sat, April 28, 5:30pm-8:30pm Eva Parker Woods Cottage Lawn at Mauna Lani: Twilight at Kalāhuipuaʻa – Crew stories & music: A talk story with crewmembers from the Worldwide Voyage.
- Tues & Thurs, May 1 & 3, 3pm-5pm Kawaihae Harbor: Open House Tours of Hōkūleʻa – Guided tours of Hōkūleʻa: visit the historic canoe and hang with crewmembers who sailed her around the world.
- Thurs, May 3, 6pm-8pm Kahilu Town Hall, Waimea: Panel Presentation – Hear from the media heros at ʻŌiwi TV who were embedded on the Mālama Honua Worldwide Voyage.
- Sat, May 5, 8:30am-2pm Kawaihae Harbor: Open House Tours of Hōkūleʻa – Community day and tours of Hōkūleʻa. Visit the historic canoe and hang with crewmembers who sailed her around the world.
- Sat, May 5, 5:30pm-8:30pm, Fairmont Orchid, Grand Ballroom: Panel Presentation – ʻOhana Holomoana, 76’ CREW
5:30pm-6:30pm Canoe activities: Star compass, knot tying and other hands-on family-friendly activities.
6:30-7pm Video showing of Hōkūleʻa’s Worldwide Voyage.
7pm-8:30pm Meet the crew of Hōkūleʻa’s 1976 maiden voyage and hear the stories that inspired the birth of the ʻohana waʻa.
- Sun, May 6, 4pm-6pm, Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Lūʻau Grounds: Panel Presentation – Pili Wehenaʻole Inseparable Relationships – Living and learning the waʻa through the generations.
- Mon & Wed, May 7 & 9 3pm-5pm, Kawaihae Harbor: Open House Tours of Hōkūleʻa – Guided tours of Hōkūleʻa – visit the historic canoe and hang with crewmembers who sailed her around the world.
- Thurs, May 24, 5:30pm-7:30pm, Kanu o ka Aina, Kamuela: Lecture Series: Waʻa Talks – Mālama Honua Community Panel
by Big Island Video News
HAWAII ISLAND - The Polynesian Voyaging Society provided a new schedule for the Mahalo, Hawaii sail around the Big Island.