(BIVN) – Lava flows from Fissure 8 are 0.84 miles above Four Corners, scientists observed at 6:30 a.m. Friday morning during an overflight.
The USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory says that over the last 2 hours, lava has advanced at a rate of 100 yards per hour. A white steam plume was also noted at summit of Kilauea Volcano, where earthquake activity remains high.
The Hawaii Fire Department has evacuated residents in homes along Papaya Farms Road and Noni Farms Road. “Any residents remaining should evacuate now,” emergency officials stated.
Hawaii County Civil Defense repeated various warnings and policies in a 6 a.m. message. “Breaches in the channel formed by the Fissure 8 flow can happen without notice and result in rapid moving flows,” the county stated. “Everyone is advised to stay away from active volcanic areas.”
For Kapoho, Vacationland, and Government Beach Road, the following policy is in effect:
- All residents of Vacationland and Kapoho Beach Lots are advised to evacuate and complete their evacuation by 6:00 p.m., today, Friday, June 1 or risk the possibility of being isolated.
Due to the active volcanic eruptions, Mayor Kim has issued a mandatory evacuation order for part of Leilani Estates. The following policies are in effect:
- Mandatory evacuation is for areas east of Pomaikai Street in Leilani Estates.
- Residents have until 12:00 noon, today, Friday, June 1 to evacuate the mandatory evacuation area.
- Persons remaining in the mandatory evacuation area do so at their own risk with the knowledge that emergency responders may not be able to respond.
- For your safety, heed warnings from Civil Defense officials and stay alert.
by Big Island Video News
PUNA, Hawaii - The USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory says that over the last 2 hours, lava has advanced at a rate of 100 yards per hour.