(BIVN) – The commission charged with reviewing the Hawaii County Charter once-per-decade has been approved.
During a special session held Friday in Hilo, the Hawaii County Council met with and approved the 11 nominees to serve on the Charter Commission. The members shall hold office until the any proposed amendments to the charter are ratified or rejected. The commission will hold at least one public hearing in each of the geographical areas of Puna, Ka’u, Kona, Kohala, Hamakua, and Hilo, according to the county.
The charter commissioners are:
- Douglass Shipman Adams (Hilo) — Board Vice-Chair, W.H. Shipman Limited
- William Carthage Bergin (Kohala) — retired veterinarian
- Michelle Galimba (Ka`u) — Ranch Manager/Owner, Kuahiwi Contractors Inc.
- Paul K. Hamano ( Hilo) — attorney, private practice
- Kevin D Hopkins (Hilo) — University of Hawaii at Hilo professor
- Bobby Jean Akane Leithead Todd (Hilo) — retired, County of Hawaii
- Sarah H. Rice (Kona) — Owner/Partner, Agro Resources Inc.
- Christopher John Imiloa Roehrig (Hamakua) — retired attorney
- Marcia A. K. Saquing (Hilo) — Executive Director, Hawaii Island Adult Care Inc.
- Donna Mae Springer (Puna) — retired police officer
- Jennifer Leilani Zelko-Schlueter (Hilo) — Director of Government & Affairs, Hawaii. Electric Light Company
Douglass Adams, who recently served on the Board of Ethics, will chair the new Charter Commission.