UPDATE (6 p.m.) – “Hawaii Police Department reports traffic is extremely backed up on Queen Kaahumanu Hwy and Kawaihae Road due to the brush fire which closed down Hwy 190 between Old Saddle Road to Puu Lani Ranch and Waikola Village to Hwy 190 Junction,” Hawai‘i County Civil Defense stated this evening. “Please avoid the area if possible. Motorists traveling west or east, please consider Hwy 11 through South Kona, Kau, and Puna as an alternate route.”
(BIVN) – The Hawai‘i Fire Department reports the brush fire near Waikoloa continues to burn, and a noon civil defense message says the fire has extended along Highway 190, “requiring the roadway to be closed from the Old Saddle Road junction to Kaiminani Drive.”
Strong winds have been reported on Hawai‘i Island today. “Gusts to near 50 mph have been observed in leeward Kohala and Waikoloa on the Big Island today,” the National Weather Service stated after issuing a Wind Advisory, which is in effect until 6 p.m. HST Friday.
Hawai‘i County Civil Defense has this information for motorists:
- Highway 190 is closed between Old Saddle Road and Kaiminani Drive.
- Local traffic will be allowed to Puu Lani.
- Waikoloa Road is closed from Highway 190 to Paniolo Drive.
- Use alternate routes. Road status and conditions are subject to changes without notice.
- Traffic on Daniel K Inouye and Old Saddle Road must go through Waimea.
- Avoid the area if possible.
We will have more information on the effort to fight the brush fire when it becomes available.