(BIVN) – The National Weather Service in Honolulu has issued a Flood Advisory for an area of East Hawaiʻi until 8:30 p.m. HST.
At 5:33 p.m. HST, radar indicated heavy rain near Hilo, forecasters report. Rain was falling at a rate of 2 inches per hour.
Locations in the advisory include but are not limited to Hilo, Hawaiian Acres, Orchidlands Estates, Glenwood, Pepeʻekeo, Keaʻau, Laupahoehoe, Oʻokala, Hawaiian Paradise Park, Pāhoa, Honomu and Mountain View.
According to a message issued by Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense:
- Residents in flood prone areas remain alert for flooding conditions.
- Stay away from streams, drainage ditches, and low-lying areas prone to flooding.
- Rainfall and runoff may cause hazardous driving conditions due to ponding, reduced visibility, and poor braking.
- Be aware that road closures may occur without notice.
- Do not attempt to cross fast flowing or rising water; turn around don’t drown.
- Be on the alert for malfunctioning traffic signals. Treat flashing traffic lights as a 4-way stop.
- Remember, if lightning threatens your area, the safest place to be is indoors.