KONA, Hawaii: A man was taken to the hospital after a 25 foot Zodiac boat exploded at Kona’s Honokohau Harbor on Tuesday.
According to fire officials, remarking in a news dispatch:
Apparently gasoline fumes below the deck ignited and “exploded” while the 25 foot Zodiac was being launched for its commercial use. The owner/operator, deckhands, and bystanders extinguished what was left aflame by the flash with hand held fire extinguishers. The vessel was said to have an automatic extinguishing system. A male, was taken to Kona Hospital in good condition by M-12. He was talking and walking. He suffered a laceration to his head and singed hairs on his arms and face.
When fire crews arrived on the scene at the mauka ramp shortly after 6:30 p.m., they found the injured male, away from the vessel with people holding a crude bloody dressing to his head.
The fire department says the boat belonged to Sea Hawaii Rafting, and estimated the loss to be about $3,000.