(BIVN) – A three-month park improvement project at Kua Bay is underway.
The Hawaiʻi DLNR says a new beach access stairway will be added, as well as additional rinsing showers and picnic tables. Upgrades are also planned for the existing restroom facility.
The cost of the project is is $226,347, with work being done by Isemoto Contracting Co., Ltd.
The project is expected to be completed by July 1, 2018, the state says.
Accoridng to a DLNR media release issued on March 16, the project scope consists of the following work on:
The existing comfort station: it is being repaired (patching and painting), providing a rest stop area with an 8’ by 2’ concrete bench; and installing new steel tube gates at restroom entrances.
Two freestanding outdoor showers: a 22 ft. by 24 ft. concrete slab is being installed, with water piping and two 7 ft. high pipe columns with grab bars and four shower heads. A rain garden is being planned to utilize the shower runoff and minimize water runoff into beach areas.
Two secured accessible picnic tables: 8 ft. by 5 ft. wood or plastic picnic tables will be installed on a 16 ft. by 11 ft. wide concrete slab; and
Concrete walkway and steps: to remove concrete reinforced masonry ramp, and install a new 22 ft. by 12 ft. concrete walkway; and install a new 14 ft. by 12 ft. concrete step area with landings and handrails, and concrete reinforced masonry wall as needed.
The Hawaiʻi DLNR says the park is expected to remain open during construction; however, “there will be some inconvenience to park users,” as follows:
- The park will open later: On Wednesdays, starting from March 21st, the park will open at 12 noon and close at the normal hour. This late opening will allow the contractor to schedule any equipment transport and concrete pours on this day to minimize impacts and inconvenience to park users. The Wednesday late opening will terminate at the completion of this project or sooner.
- All makai work areas, i.e., the showers, picnic tables and ramp/stairway will be secured off with chain link fencing to ensure the safety of park users and construction staff during construction. Also, the fencing will provide security for the built showers and stairways from inadvertent entry or intended property damage.
- The contractor will provide access to the beach in this area by rotating closed pathways to the beach, at least one access area will be provided.
- The existing shower will be open for use during construction.
- Work on the beach stairway has started and will open when all railings have been installed and inspected.
- When comfort station work is started, portable toilets will be provided.
- In case of unanticipated events such as unavailability of concrete or other materials on Wednesdays, sudden temporary closures may occur.
- Work will occur during Monday through Friday, with no work on the weekends unless necessary.