From the Hawaii County Police Department:
The Hawaiʻi Isle Police Activities League (HI-PAL), in collaboration with the Department of Parks & Recreation, will hold the 31st Annual Winter Basketball Classic from Monday, December 26, through Thursday, December 29. in Hilo.
Teams have already registered and will participate in the following age group divisions:
- 5-6 and 7-8 divisions at Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium
- Boys 9-10 and Boys 11-12 divisions at Andrew’s Gym
- Girls 10 and under and Girls 12 and under at Waiākea High School
- Boys 13-14 and Girls 14 and under at the Hilo Armory.
- Start times for all locations will be 9 a.m. The public is invited to attend these “non-admission” games and watch teams from Oahu and Maui compete against teams from our island.
On Tuesday, December 27, a “Chili Dinner and Skills Challenge” event will be held at the Hilo Civic Auditorium beginning at 5:30 p.m. During this event, special guests will be on hand to provide informational messages of encouragement about athletics, education, respect and life lessons.In addition, all participants of the Winter Basketball Classic present will be asked to recite a pledge against the use of “meth” or “ice.” The author of this pledge, Bohdi Amar from Kohala Middle School, will be recognized for his entry into the “Second Annual HI-PAL Pledge Against Meth” contest for middle school students throughout the Big Island.
On Wednesday, December 28, the championship games for the 5-6 and 7-8 age divisions will be played at Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium beginning at 9 a.m. On Thursday, December 29, the championship games for the remaining age groups will be played at the Ah Fook-Chinen Civic Auditorium starting at 9 a.m.
For more information, please call Officer Joseph Botelho Jr. at 961-2220.