(ABOVE) The latest National Weather Service Infrared Satellite Imagery over the State of Hawaii (11:30 p.m.)
- 10:22 a.m. Old Mamalahoa Highway in the Ahualoa area is now open , police report. Some debris remain on the road, drive with caution.
- 8:50 a.m. All Puna highways opened at this time, inclusive of Kaohe Homestead Road, police say.
- 7:50 a.m. Civil Defense says Highway 250 at the 4 mile mark in Hawi, Old Mamalahoa Highway between Ahualoa and Wiamea, Highway 11 near the 19 mile mark in Glenwood and Highway 11 near the 53 mile mark in Pahala are closed. State Highway and Department of Public Works crews are working to clear all roadways.
- 7:40 a.m. A new Hawaii County Civil Defense audio message was issued at 7:30 a.m. on Jan. 3:
- 7:20 a.m. Visits at Kulani Correctional Facility are cancelled today (Sat). The Hawaii Department of Public Safety says the storm has caused downed trees and hazardous conditions along Stainback Highway which leads up to the prison. Visitors have been notified and rescheduled for Sunday.
- 7:18 a.m. Avoid Kohala Mountain Road (Route 250) police say. The road is closed from Puu Mamo Drive to HPA due to storm hazards and fallen trees.
- 7:15 a.m. In Puna, police say Route 132 just past Nanawale Blvd (heading toward Lava Tree Park), and Kaohe Homestead Road above Pahoa School remain closed. Route 137 remains open however low overhanging branches near McKenzie State Park create one lane traffic.
- 5:05 a.m. A Flood Advisory remains in effect for Hawaii County until 8 a.m. and a High Wind Warning remains in effect until noon. The National Weather Service reports radar showed areas of heavy rain with isolated thunderstorms spread out across most of the Big Island as of 4:42 a.m. HST. Additional rain and storms are poised to move ashore along the leeward coast north of Kailua-Kona town. The rain and storms were moving east at 25 mph.
- 5:00 a.m. A new Hawaii County Civil Defense audio message was issued at 4:30 a.m. on Jan. 3:
- 2:02 a.m. Civil Defense reports a new list of road closures: Highway 19 at the 53 mile mark in Waimea near the Mealani Experiment Station, Highway 250 at the 4 mile mark in Hawi, Old Mamalahoa Highway between Ahualoa and Waimea, and Highway 11 near the 19 mile mark in Glenwood
- 1:55 a.m. Hawaii County Civil Defense audio message issued at 1:43 a.m. on Jan. 3:
- 1:31 a.m. Kona under a Flash Flood Advisory until 3:30 a.m. Up to three inches of rain and heavy thunderstorms possible.
- 12:31 a.m. Police report more Puna road problems: Kahakai Blvd. is blocked above Ola’u St. police say detour through Auina St. Also, Kaohe Homestead road is closed above Pahoa School.
- 12:29 a.m. Police report Hamakua Road closure due to high winds on Old Mamalahoa Highway between the area of Kahana Dr. to Waokele St in the Ahualoa area.
- 12:20 a.m. Hawaii County Police report road closures in Puna due to high winds: Highway 130 near 12 mm, Highway 132 near Lava Tree Park, Highway 130 near Milo. (One lane)
- 12:15 a.m. The National Weather Service has extended the High Wind Warning to lower elevations of the Big Island till 6 a.m.
- 12:08 a.m. The American Red Cross is in the process of opening a shelter at Aunty Sally Kaleohano’s Luau Hale in Hilo for residents affected by the High Winds. The shelter is expected to open at 12:30 a.m.
- 11:35 p.m. Puna residents are reporting on Facebook and Punaweb that albizia trees are falling in and around Hawaiian Paradise Park.
- 11:20 p.m. Hawaii County Civil Defense reports “the onset of hazardous conditions for Hawaii Island has begun and is expected to increase into the early morning hours tomorrow. Currently strong wind conditions are being reported in various areas of the island and numerous reports of fallen trees and downed power lines have been received. HELCO crews are working to restore power in the affected areas.”
Here is the Civil Defense audio message issued at 11 p.m. on Jan. 2:
- 11:15 p.m. Hawaii Electric Light Company is reporting 2,180 customers out of power in the Waimea area. HELCO says a 1st responder is en route.
LIVE WEATHER RADAR
LIVE – National Weather Service Hawaii Radar Mosaic