(BIVN) – A magnitude 8.2 earthquake has occurred 51 miles southwest of El Palmarcito, Mexico, the U.S. Geological Survey reports.
UPDATE (8:38 p.m. HST) While Hawaii County Civil Defense confirms that the is no tsunami threat to Hawaii, the agency says “as a precaution, be aware of possible strong currents or higher than normal sea levels, especially between 3 AM and 5 AM tomorrow morning.”
UPDATE (8:30 p.m. HST) – The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has issued a tsunami threat message for other parts of the Pacific located closer to the earthquake. However, based on all available data there is no tsunami threat to Hawaii.
This will be the final statement on Hawaii issued for this event unless additional data are received, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says.
ORIGINAL POST – The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has issued a tsunami threat message for other parts of the Pacific located closer to the earthquake. However, the tsunami threat to Hawaii is still under evaluation.
Big Island Video News will be monitoring the situation and we will update this page the moment new information becomes available.
UPDATE (7:48 p.m. HST) – Based on all available data, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says hazardous tsunami waves are forecast for some coasts.
Tsunami threat forecast (from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center)
- Tsunami waves reaching more than 3 meters above the tide level are possible along some coasts of Mexico.
- Tsunami waves reaching 0.3 to 1 meters above the tide level are possible for some coasts of Cook Islands… Ecuador… French Polynesia… Guatemala… and Kiribati.
- Tsunami waves are forecast to be less than 0.3 meters above the tide level for the coasts of Colombia… Costa Rica… El Salvador… Hawaii… Honduras… Jarvis Island… Nicaragua… Northwestern Hawaiian Islands… Palmyra Island… Panama… and Peru.
- Actual amplitudes at the coast may vary from forecast amplitudes due to uncertainties in the forecast and local features. In particular maximum tsunami amplitudes on atolls and at locations with fringing or barrier reefs will likely be much smaller than the forecast indicates.
- For other areas covered by this product a forecast has not yet been computed. The forecast will be expanded if necessary in subsequent products.
by Big Island Video News
HAWAII - The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has issued a tsunami threat message for other parts of the Pacific located closer to the earthquake. The tsunami threat to Hawaii has now been evaluated.