(BIVN) – A Flash Flood Warning was issued for the entire Island of Hawaii on Tuesday morning.
At 11:45 a.m. HST, the the National Weather Service in Honolulu extended the warning until 2:15 p.m. HST as the Big Island was getting hit with heavy showers and isolated thunderstorms associated with a strong cold front and stacked low pressure system to the north of the island.
“Rainfall over the Kona slopes of the Big Island has eased over the past hour,” forecasters said at 11:53 a.m. HST. “The heaviest rainfall recently has been in the Puna District over and around Pahoa, and in the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Hawaii County police reported the closing of several flood-prone roads in Hilo. Radar data show more rainfall will move over the east side of the Big Island over the next several hours.”
According to Hawaii County Civil Defense, the following roads were impacted as of 11:30 a.m. HST:
- Kamehameha Avenue in Hilo is closed from Manono Street to Ponahawai Street.
- Kuakini Highway in Kona is closed from Kona Hillside Plaza to Walua Road.
- Kukila Street and Railroad Avenue near Lanikaula Street in Hilo are closed.
- The Kawa Area on Highway 11 near the 58 mile marker in Ka‘u is flooding. UPDATE (12:23 p.m.) – HPD is reporting that Highway 11 near Pahala, by the 50 mm and Kawa are clear at this time for traffic.
- Wood Valley Road in Pahala is closed.
Be advised to avoid these areas and use alternate route, emergency officials say. “Due to occasional heavy downpours, driving conditions are poor,” the civil defense message stated. “Be on the alert for additional possible road closures.”
A High Wind Warning is also in effect for Hawaii’s summit areas. Southwest winds of 55 to 70 mph are impacting the mountains, with localized gusts over 85 mph.
The road to the summit of Mauna Kea is closed at the Visitor Information Station due to strong and gusty winds, heavy fog, wet roadways, and thunderstorm activity, rangers report.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has enacted a few closures due to the storm:
- Mauna Loa Road is closed.
- Hilina Pali is Road is closed.
- Mauna Loa is closed for backcountry hiking.
- Jaggar Museum is closing at 5:15 pm. The overlook will remain open.