(BIVN) – Repair work on the Hakalau Stream Bridge begins Friday, February 16, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Hakalau Stream Bridge, not to be confused with the bridge on State Highway 19, is located on the road leading to Hakalau Beach Park which is currently closed.
One year ago, the County said an assessment found the foundation of the bridge had been undermined due to scouring from Hakalau Stream. Mayor Harry Kim issued a proclamation of a local state of emergency, and the county closed the bridge while working on a plan to repair the bridge to National Bridge Inspection standards.
Repairs are expected to be completed by Tuesday, April 17, 2018. Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company was awarded the contract to repair the undermined northern abutment. “All State and Federal approvals, certifications, and environmental permits required by the Federal Highways Administration (FHWA) have been secured,” the county stated in a media release. “80% of the $1,644,000 project cost will be funded by Federal funds and the county will contribute the remaining 20%.”
by Big Island Video News
HAKALAU, Hawaii - The work will begin on Friday, February 16, 2018 and is expected to be completed by Tuesday, April 17, 2018, weather and construction conditions permitting.