HILO, Hawaii: Ebb & Flow Arts will be present a “wide ranging and captivating” series of six concerts from May 20 – July 28, 2012, part of North South East West Festival 2012.
The festival comes to the East Hawaii Cultural Center (141 Kalakaua St., Hilo) on June 16th for a unique multi media performance by Lee Michael Walczuk & Friends, featuring music, dance, film, visual art, area artists including Tomas Belsky, and works by Cone, Walker, Cowell.
From festival organizers:
All concerts are free admission. Music spans the early twentieth century to very recent work. It includes 26 works by 23 composers – 9 Hawai’i, and 3 World premieres. Four concerts take place on Maui, one in Honolulu, and one in Hilo.
Featured performers include leading musicians from San Francisco Symphony, Hawai’i Symphony, an improvising virtuoso pianist from Canada, a team of 6 pianists, and E&FA’s Multi media group – dancers, musicians, and visual and performance artists.
“We are thrilled to present our ninth annual, statewide series of concert and multi media events,” says Robert Pollock, Exec. Dir. of E&FA. “Our unswerving commitment to excellence and originality keeps us strong in these hard economic times,” he asserts.
These events are part of E&FA’s annual, multi day, multi site, international NORTH SOUTH EAST WEST FESTIVAL 2012. They are produced with support from Aaron Copland Fund for Music, AHS Foundation, Makana Aloha Foundation, Hawai’i Tourism Authority/Maui County OED/CPEP, John R. Halligan Charitable Fund, Hawai’i State Foundation on Culture & Arts, Roger Shapiro Fund for New Music, Edward T. Cone Foundation, BMI Foundation, Fred Baldwin Memorial Foundation, and private contributions. Web site service provided by Maui Web Designs.
Ebb & Flow Arts, Inc. (E&FA) is a non profit presenter of modern music and multi media events. It is the only such presenter in Hawai’i, and was founded in 1999, by composer/pianist Robert Pollock. It aims to build bridges between the arts and connect artistic expressions and cultures. E&FA creates a global sound board and mirror for music and art in Hawai’i. We also teach Maui’s children how to read and write music with “Scaling Haleakala,” an award winning curriculum.
If you are interested in the other dates on the tour, all off Hawaii Island:
• Sunday, May 20, 5pm – CHAMBER MUSIC FROM SAN FRANCISCO, works by Ravel, Kodaly, Oliver, and Pollock, leading musicians from San Francisco Symphony – Sarn Oliver, Mariko Smiley, violins, David Kim, viola, Peter Wyrick, ‘cello – Seabury Hall Performing Arts Studio, 480 Olinda Rd., Makawao, Maui
• Saturday, June 2, 7:30pm – EBB & FLOW ENSEMBLE, works by Schoenberg, Koston, Kurtag, Sydeman, and Pollock – Rachel Schutz, soprano, Iggy Jang and Helen Liu, violins, Ethan Pernela, viola, Joanna Morrison-Pernela, ‘cello, The ARTS at Marks Garage, 1159 Nu’uanu Ave., Honolulu, Oahu
• Saturday, June 23, 7:30 – LEE PUI MING, an evening of improvisation by renowned Canadian pianist, Keawala’i Congregational Church, 5300 Makena Rd., Makena, Maui
• Saturday, July 14, 7:30 – PIANO SYNERGY – works for 4 pianos by Cage, Feldman, Busby, Milhaud, Osborne (world premiere), Debussy, Ravel, others – pianists Beatrice Scorby, Peiling Lin, Lotus Dancer, Anne Ku, Ruth Murata, Robert Pollock, Maui Music Conservatory, Queen Ka’ahumanu Mall, 2nd floor, Kahului, Maui
• Saturday, July 28, 7:30 – MULTI MEDIA ORIGINALS – captivating stage compositions by Peter Swanzy, Tony Walholm, others, area performance artists including Paul Marchetti, Danny M., John Zangrando, musicians, Lisa Buell, dancer, Francis Kane, master puppeteer, Todd van Amburgh, actor and set design, Michael Takemoto, artist, Robert Wehrman, composer, Seabury Hall Performing Arts Studio, Makawao, Maui
by Big Island Video News
HILO, Hawaii: Ebb & Flow Arts will be present a “wide ranging and captivating” series of six concerts from May 20 – July 28, 2012, part of North South East West Festival 2012. The festival comes to the East Hawaii Cultural Center (141 Kalakaua St., Hilo) on June 16th for a unique multi media performance by […]