(BIVN) – There were 3,290 newly reported cases of COVID-19 in the State of Hawaiʻi on Friday, down from the record-high 3,484 cases reported on Thursday. Of that number, 256 new cases were identified on Hawaiʻi island today – another new record – up from the previous record (242) reported the day before.
On Thursday, Lieutenant Governor Josh Green tweeted 139 were hospitalized across Hawaiʻi, with 18 in ICU. “No one in ICU is boosted,” Green noted. Today, five (5) deaths with COVID-19 were reported.
Health officials are currently monitoring 1,110 active cases on Hawaiʻi island. The test positivity rate in Hawaiʻi County over the last two-weeks has jumped up to 11.8%. There has been a 14-day average of 121 new cases per day on the Big Island. On Oʻahu, there is now a high test positivity rate of 17.4%.
On the Health Department’s zip code area map showing reported COVID-19 cases with onset dates in the past 14 days, there are now fourteen (14) zip code areas on the Big Island showing over 10 cases, with four of those areas showing over 50 cases. One of those areas, Hilo, has recorded over 400 cases. Zip code areas not listed below have recorded less than 10 cases in 14 days.
- 96720 (Hilo) –409 cases
- 96783 (Pepeʻekeo) – 18 cases
- 96773* (North Hilo) – 17 cases
- 96727 (Honokaʻa) – 28 cases
- 96755 (Kapaʻau) – 22 cases
- 96743 (Kohala) – 68 cases
- 96738 (Waikoloa) – 33 cases
- 96740 (Kona) – 160 cases
- 96750 (Kealakekua) – 13 cases
- 96704* (South Kona) – 19 cases
- 96772 (Pahala) – 16 cases
- 96749 (Puna) – 108 cases
- 96771 (Puna mauka) – 30 cases
- 96778 (Puna makai) – 50 cases
* The 96773 zip code area includes zip code areas 96710, 96774, 96728, 96764, and 96780. The 96704 zip code area includes zip code areas 96726.
Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense posted on social media that testing will take place today at the following locations:
- Kona at the Old Kona Airport Pavilion from 12 noon to 5 p.m.
- Puna at Pāhoa District Park from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The State of Hawaiʻi says 2,536,610 total COVID-19 vaccines have been administered. Health officials say 74.2% percent of the State population has been fully vaccinated. 79.7% of the population has initiated vaccination, and 25.0% has gotten a third dose. On Hawaiʻi island, 66% has completed vaccination.
by Big Island Video News
HAWAIʻI ISLAND - Another record number of new cases, 256, were identified on the Big Island, part of the 3,290 statewide.