- JUNE 27 LAVA FLOW UPDATE: The new lava flow front continues to show signs of advancement and widening. Details on the Dec. 3 Morning Lava Update and the Dec. 3 Evening Lava Update.
- PAHOA HOLIDAY PARADE: The Pāhoa Holiday Parade and Ho’olau’lea is this Saturday, December 6 on Pāhoa Village Road. The parade route starts at Pāhoa High School at 9:30 a.m. and continues to Post Office Road. This year’s theme is “Pāhoa, Center of the Punaverse”. This year’s Grand Marshall is Mayor Billy Kenoi.
- HURRICANE BURGLARY AT HAWAIIAN SHORES STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION: Police are asking for the public’s help in providing information about a burglary at the Hawaiian Shores Community Association’s warehouse in August. On August 22, someone took a civil defense generator (yellow Durostar Generator model DS4000S) and a Stihl 14-inch chainsaw. The generator was on loan during the Hurricane Iselle emergency. Police ask anyone who may have witnessed the burglary or who has information about any suspects to call the Police Department’s non-emergency number at 935-3311 or Officer Daniel Murray at 965-2716. Crime Stoppers: 961-8300
- PAHOA HI-5 REDEMPTION CENTER CLOSES: The Pahoa HI-5 Certified Redemption Center located at the Pahoa Recycling & Transfer Station is closed (effective December 1, 2014) until further notice. The Hawaii County Department of Environmental Management says there is an alternate site in Pahoa open daily (8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) on Pahoa Village Road across from the post office.
- PACIFIC BIODIESEL SIGNS CONTRACT WITH HAWAIIAN ELECTRIC: The utility will purchase half the production volume from Pacific Biodiesel Technologies’ facility in Keaau, “ensuring the continuous operation” of the plant at the Shipman Industrial Park. The biodiesel will be used at the 110-megawatt Campbell Industrial Park generation facility on Oahu.
- NEW VIDEO – SENATOR RUDERMAN’S LEGISLATIVE LAVA ASK: Puna’s State Senator is getting ready to take the needs of his lava threatened district to the Capitol. Russell Ruderman recently outlined his plans for the upcoming legislative session before a Hawaii County Council committee. Ruderman testified from Hilo. The 2015 legislative session starts in January.