(BIVN) – Hawaii County Civil Defense issued a new eruption update at 6 a.m. on Thursday morning, focusing primarily on the activity as it relates to Puna Geothermal Venture.
Civil Defense said “work continues to seal the wells,” and provided this additional information:
- The situation remains stable, lava has not encroached further onto PGV property.
- County, state and federal crews are on the scene and monitoring for sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide.
- There is no hydrogen sulfide detected at this time.
Civil defense also reminded residents that frequent ash emissions continue at the Kilauea summit. “Take action to avoid exposure to ash,” officials said.
The county reminded that they are distributing free masks for ash protection:
- Distribution runs today and tomorrow from 3:30 to 7:30PM, and Saturday from 9 AM to 1 PM.
- Masks will be distributed at Ocean View Community Center, Naalehu Community Center, Pahala Community Center, Cooper Center, and Shipman Gym in Keaau.
- Each person may receive up to three masks.
- Masks do not protect against gasses and vapors. They will only provide filtering for ash.
“Due to the current activity, residents down rift should be prepared to voluntarily evacuate at a moment’s notice,” civil defense said.