(ABOVE) HOLUALOA, Hawaii – A flower pot is left by the signage outside the home in Hōlualoa where an early morning house fire claimed the lives of two children. Courtesy Visionary Video.
UPDATE | 4:20 p.m. HST
- Hawaii County Police have identified the two boys killed in a residential fire in Hōlualoa early Thursday. They were identified as 6-year-old Kaeden Matsuyama and 11-year-old Dexen Matsuyama. Police say the results of an autopsy conducted Thursday (January 29) have been deferred pending lab tests.
- Two children were found dead at the scene of a house fire in Holualoa early Thursday morning. Police report the children are tentatively identified as an 11-year-old boy and a 6-year-old boy. Their identity is being withheld pending positive identification.
- Two adults and two children were able to exit the house, police report. Firefighters found the two deceased children inside after they were able to gain entrance into the building.
- The residential fire took place on the 76-5200 block of Old Māmalahoa Highway, in an area across Holualoa School. The structure was fully engulfed in flames when police arrived on the scene shortly before 2 a.m.
- Police do no suspect foul play. An autopsy will be scheduled to determine the exact cause of death. Police and Fire Department personnel are jointly investigating the cause of the fire.
From a Hawaii County Fire Department dispatch, describing the scene of the tragedy:
Firefighters were unable to make an immediate entrance into structure due to the building being fully engulfed with walls and the ceiling collapsing. As soon as the firefighter were able to gain entrance into the building two victims were found. The scene is still under investigation by HFD & HPD; HPD is lead investigators.
Hawaii County Fire Department on Jan. 29, 2015
by Big Island Video News
The children are tentatively identified as an 11-year-old boy and a 6-year-old boy