(BIVN) – A year-long, $4.2 million, capital improvement construction project is underway at Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area.
The first phase of work began on Monday, October 30. The Department of Land and Natural Resources says work has required closure of the comfort station and pavilion, and officials added that a portable toilet will be provided.
“Replacement has also begun of the concession pathway, beach and shower pathways, and pathway from the upper parking lot,” a DLNR news release states. “Security fencing will be installed. This phase is expected to be completed by January 7, 2018.”
There are three phases of work planned. Hapuna will remain open during each phase of work, DLNR says, “however, closures should be expected in the specific areas impacted, including pathways, comfort stations, pavilions, showers and parking areas.”
Portable toilets will be provided during comfort station closures, as well as security fencing in construction areas, and park signage as needed, DLNR says.
DLNR officials met with the community exactly two years ago to talk about the improvement project. Big Island Video News recorded part of the discussion:
DLNR provided this additional information:
HAPUNA BEACH SECTION IMPROVEMENTS
Makai Areas to include:
- Renovation and repair of the 3 comfort stations in the North, South and main parking areas;
- Renovation and repair of the 2 pavilions including new roofing supports, replacement of barbecue units, flooring and wall repairs;
- Replacement of the makai pathway with a 10-foot wide concrete pathway/emergency roadway;
- Replacement showers at the North and South sections, 3 new foot showers at the North, South and main parking areas, and 1 new rinsing shower in the center area of this section;
- Replacement pathways from the upper parking area, and replacement of the pathway behind the concession stand;
- Parking improvements – in the upper parking area: removal of existing light fixtures and restriping of this parking area to increase number of stalls — in the main parking area: adding more ADA stalls and installing bike racks;
- Related repairs and improvements as needed – ADA accessibility compliance, plumbing and building code compliance, etc.
Mauka areas: repaving of the mauka entry road, adding an unpaved gravel shoulder/parking area near the cabins, and relocating the ADA parking stall adjacent to the dining hall.
WAIALEA SECTION IMPROVEMENTS:
- Renovation and repair of the comfort station;
- Replacement rinsing shower;
- Construction of a new stairway connection from the pathway by the comfort station to the picnic table area; and
- Installing new bike racks near the comfort station.
Successive phases of construction work are scheduled for:
- from February to April 2018: at the Hapuna beach central and south sections including the remainder of the makai pathway, comfort station, pavilion, showers, and ADA parking.
- from– May to July 2018: Hapuna’s upper areas including the main parking lot, comfort station, and upper parking lot.
- In the Waialea section, from August to September 2018: at the comfort station, shower and pathway areas.
- At the Mauka cabin area, from September to October 2018: on the mauka roadway to cabins and dining hall.
The contractor on the job is Site Engineering, Inc.