(BIVN) – An unexpected equipment failure has led to a water conservation request, issued for all Department of Water Supply customers in the Kalapana-area of Puna, until further notice.
“Water conservation” calls for a voluntary 10% usage. Performing the following steps will help to conserve water and reach the 10% goal:
- Wash only full loads of laundry and dishes
- Check faucets and pipes for leaks
- Do not let water run when washing hands, shaving, and brushing teeth
- Reduce showering times
- Use water-saving devices whenever possible
- Use a broom instead of a water hose when gathering leaves and grass clippings
All Kalapana-area agricultural customers should limit water use for dust control and irrigate only at night or during non-peak hours of 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., officials say.
The Department of Water Supply is currently hauling drinking water to meet customers’ water needs in the area. For more information, please call 961-8790.
by Big Island Video News
KALAPANA, Hawai'i - A water conservation notice, which calls for a voluntary 10% reduction in water use, is in effective immediately in Kalapana after unexpected equipment failure.